Monday 20 September 2010

Cucumber Wine - Part 2


The smell of the cucumber wine is driving me crazy; fragrant wafts of melon. Since melons and cucumbers are both in the cucurbit family the melon aroma is not so surprising.


I shot a film of the collecting carbon dioxide bubbles that you can see  Fermentation bubbles It is certainly a very active brew at the moment.

The wine is the lovely yellow / green colour that you can see in the photo above. I think I need to adjust the colour balance for filming purposes because in the video it has come out as a dull brown/red.


Here you can see the wine fermenting away and the constant bubbling out of the airlock Home brew fermenting A friend who was staying woke up in the night and heard the gurgling though didn’t find it to disturbing. When the water in the airlock was a little high it was more like a splashing fish tank.


I can’t wait to try it out; a few more weeks in the demijohn and then when I am bottling a taste and executive decision on whether to crack straight into it or wait a little longer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you might want to top the demijohn up a bit to about 1 inch below the bung - less surface area means less chance of oxidisation!

Anonymous said...

Hi Susanne,
Enjoyed your posts on Cucumber wine, inspired me to try some with some extra large cucumbers that avoided my harvesting for too long. How did yours turn out?
I might try lemons to substitute for citric acid in my brew, cheers!

Mike W

Susanne Masters said...

Yes definitely worth topping up the demijohn, though it was quite a vigorous ferment so having it lower at the start avoided the fermenting wine spilling out of the airlock.